If you or someone you love has suffered a debilitating back injury due to someone else’s negligence, you could be owed significant compensation. At Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers, we’ve been helping those who’ve been hurt throughout San Diego and California since 2007. We understand the impact this injury has had and will have on your life. When you hire us, we will not back down from a fight, and we’ll do everything we can to get you the full compensation you need and deserve.
Back injuries can be extremely painful and have a lasting impact on your life. They can lead to permanent disabilities or result in chronic pain that limits your ability to enjoy the activities you are used to. The San Diego accident attorneys from Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers want to ensure you receive adequate compensation to cover your medical bills and other associated expenses so you can recover and move on from the accident. Call us today at (619) 349-1680 to schedule your free consultation and find out how we can help you.
What Is A Back Injury?
A back injury can range from a muscle strain, disc injury, or injury to the spine or spinal cord. This can result in lasting consequences for the victim, including paralysis (in the most tragic of instances), chronic pain, or decreased mobility. When you sustain a back injury, it could impact any area of your life. You might not be able to return to your job or adequately care for your family. It can be a devastating experience.
The most common parts of the back affected by an injury include:
- Spine – There are three main sections of the spine, each made up of bones called vertebrae. When an accident occurs, or there’s some type of physical trauma, those vertebrae could become displaced or fractured.
- Nerves – Nerves and arteries deliver signals and blood from the brain to different areas of the back. Any damage could disrupt those signals and lead to pain or trouble functioning.
- Muscles – Some muscles control posture and movement. You could sprain, strain, tear, or pull your back muscles. Any injury could result in reduced mobility.
- Discs – Each vertebra has a disc between them. If that disc slips, herniates, or ruptures, severe pain could occur.
- Ligaments – These surround the spinal cord and stabilize it. If you overexert yourself, you could end up with back spasms, pain, or swelling.
Back Injury Statistics in the United States
Back pain is the leading cause of disability throughout the entire world. It commonly causes people to miss work and other activities they engage in every day. Around 80 percent of individuals will suffer a back injury at some point in their lifetime. It is also the third-most common reason for visiting the doctor, behind skin and joint disorders.
According to data collected by thegoodbody.com:
- Back injuries become a disabling or chronic condition for around 5 percent of people
- The top cause of work-related disabilities are back injuries
- More than one million occupational injuries each year involve the back
- Musculoskeletal disorders account for 38.5 percent of job-related injuries requiring days off work
- One-third of those who suffer a back injury will have a recurrence within 12 months
Unfortunately, back injuries cause severe stress. Most people can’t work, leading to a decrease in income, and might not be able to afford the costs of treatment. Many people don’t have health insurance and end up paying out-of-pocket for their doctor visits. Back pain accounts for approximately $86 billion in medical expenses every year throughout the country. It becomes a financial strain and puts a lot of individuals in debt.
Most Common Causes of Back Injuries
An injury to your back can be extremely painful and can have a lasting impact on your life and livelihood. Some of the most common causes of back injuries include:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – The force of an impact between two vehicles or a car colliding with a stationary object is enough to jolt someone’s body in a way that damages the spine, muscles, or other parts of the back
- Slips, Trips, and Falls – Falls commonly happen on hazardous properties where there’s unrepaired damage or a slippery surface; individuals who work in construction can also fall from great heights and sustain severe spinal cord damage or broken bones
- Workplace Accidents – When you are at work, you could fall, get struck by an object, overexert yourself, or end up in an accident that harms your back
- Assaults and Intentional Acts – Some back injuries are not accidents, but occur through intentional and wrongful acts like assaults. If someone intentionally hurts you, you have the right to hold them accountable.
How Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers Can Help You After Your Back Injury
At Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers, we know state laws and the procedure we must follow to ensure our clients recover the monetary award they need. If someone else was responsible for causing your injury, you have the right to pursue legal action against them.
If you have never filed an insurance claim or lawsuit before, you probably won’t know the steps you need to take. You could get exploited and end up with much lower compensation than you deserve. When you hire one of our San Diego back injury attorneys, we will handle every legal aspect of your case, so you don’t have to worry about it.
We will begin by thoroughly investigating the accident that led to your back injury. We will need to obtain sufficient evidence that proves who was at fault and the expenses you incurred. Some of the crucial evidence we can use includes:
- Police/incident report
- Video surveillance footage
- Evidence from the accident scene
- Statements from eyewitnesses
- Lost wage reports if you were unable to return to your job
- Copies of your medical records, out-of-pocket expenses, and other documentation associated with the injury
Depending on the circumstances of your case, we will proceed with filing an insurance claim or lawsuit. Most accident victims start with a claim first to see if they can negotiate a fair settlement covering their total costs. If the insurance company isn’t willing to provide an adequate amount or denies the claim, we can move forward with a lawsuit against the liable party.
How to Determine the Maximum Compensation
When you sustain a back injury, you will likely incur various damages. Damages refer to the losses suffered after an accident or injury. Everything from the cost of medical care to emotional trauma is considered a type of damage.
Whether you file a claim or lawsuit, you might be entitled to compensation for the following damages:
- Medical bills
- Lost income
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
Insurance companies and jury members have difficulty calculating an appropriate amount to offer to the injured party. Since something like pain and suffering can be subjective, there are contributing factors they might use to determine the financial award. They include:
- Type of injury and its severity
- Total medical costs
- Effect of the injury on daily life
- Physical or mental disability resulting from the accident
- Duration of the recovery period
- Inability to earn pre-injury wages
- Psychological trauma experienced
They could also look at your degree of liability. Under the pure comparative negligence rule, your total damages diminish by the percentage of fault you share. To clarify, let’s say you have a total of $100,000 in damages. If you were 20 percent to blame for your back injury, you would only be allowed to pursue a maximum of $80,000 in compensation.
Suffering from a Back Injury? Contact Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers Today
If you’ve suffered a back injury due to someone else’s negligence, our San Diego injury attorneys are available 24/7 to take your call. We believe that no one should have to pay out of pocket for someone else’s negligence. When you hire us, we will do everything in our power to get you the full and fair compensation you deserve.
We understand that a back injury can feel overwhelming. When you get hurt in an accident, the thought of taking on a legal case can be stressful. You won’t be alone in this fight for justice. You can count on our team to handle every step on your behalf so you can focus on what matters: healing.
At Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers, our attorneys have a strong track record of helping people just like you get justice. We’ve received recognition from organizations and the media for our hard work, dedication, and quality services we provide. Our founding attorney Ross Jurewitz also holds a 10 Superb rating from Avvo.
If another person’s careless actions led to your back injury and you don’t know what to do next, call (619) 349-1680 or reach out to us online to speak with a knowledgeable member of our team right away.