Top Bicycle Accident Lawyers in San Diego
Legal Representation for Victims of Bike Accidents
San Diego provides an excellent environment for cycling, which is why so many residents use bicycles to run errands, commute to and from work, and just get around town. And while it’s a good thing that people are choosing to get fit and contribute to a better global environment, more bicycles on the roads means more potential for accidents. When a bicycle is involved in an accident with a motor vehicle, the bicyclist has a high likelihood of serious injury or death. Drivers of cars, trucks, and motorcycles have a duty to look out for cyclists and allow them their legal right-of-way while navigating San Diego’s busy roads and streets. Unfortunately, many drivers do not take this duty seriously.
If you’ve been injured or lost a loved one in a bicycle accident due to the negligence or reckless behavior of a motor vehicle driver, you have the right to compensation from the liable driver and insurance company. But don’t expect the insurance company involved to just cut you a check - that’s not going to happen. Insurance companies are notorious for denying claims, delaying payouts, and trying to get plaintiffs to settle for far less compensation than they deserve.
Don’t let them do this to you. The legal team at San Diego’s Jurewitz Law Group hates seeing injury victims get screwed by insurance companies, and has spent nearly 20 years fighting to ensure that it doesn’t happen. To get Ross Jurewitz’s experience and knowledge behind your claim, call (888) 233-5020 for a free case evaluation.
Common Bicycle Accident Scenarios
The following scenarios are common among bicycle-motor vehicle collisions:
- Left-hand turn collision: California Vehicle Code section 21801(a) states that all drivers attempting a left-hand turn must first check for and yield to any vehicles coming from the opposite direction, including bicycles. Unfortunately, many drivers do not see bicyclists coming and crash into them while making a left turn.
- Sideswipe: All motorists are expected to give bicyclists enough space when passing. However, some motorists get impatient and attempt extremely risky passes, which can result in a sideswipe collision or the bicyclist getting run off the road.
- Dooring: On many streets, the bicycle lane is adjacent to the parking lane, without much space in between. In this type of accident, a motorist forgets to check for bicyclists before exiting his or her parked vehicle, which leads to the unlucky bicyclist crashing into the door or getting run out of the lane. In either scenario, the consequences can be deadly.
- Intersection collisions: A motorist may fail to stop at an intersection, or fail to yield to a crossing bicyclist, causing an injurious or fatal collision.
Of course, there are bicycle accident cases which do not involve motorists. Unsafe roadway conditions and defective bicycle design/manufacturing can contribute to bike accidents, as well, and if they do, those road designers and bike manufacturers may be held liable, too.
Most bicycle accidents involve collisions with motor vehicles, whose drivers commit negligent and/or reckless acts.
Protecting the Rights of Bicycle Accident Victims
If you, as a cyclist, have been injured in an accident with a motor vehicle, you’re going to need a strong legal advocate on your side. The San Diego personal injury attorneys at Jurewitz Law Group are passionate about accident victim rights and will not let you get screwed by the unscrupulous insurance industry. Call (888) 233-5020 for a free consultation.
Bicycle Accident Case Results
- Awarded: $40,00 - Oceanside Bicyclist Hit by Car Making Right Turn
DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that the case results described above are not intended to be representative of usual results and not every result is typical or expected of every case. Every case is different and case values turn on small facts and differences. Please contact our office to discuss your case and the range of reasonable case values for your personal injury case.
TERMS: By viewing and reading the case values on this website, you are agreeing not to disseminate and distribute the case results described herein. The Jurewitz Law Group retains any and all rights with respect to the use and enforcement of copywrite and trademark violations with respect to any use which violated state or federal law.
- Free report by Transportation for America, "Dangerous by Design"
- Bicycles - NHTSA
- Bicycle Safety - CDC
- Bicyclists and Other Cyclists Traffic Safety Facts
- Bicyclist Fatality Facts
- Safety Tips for Bicyclists
- Cycling Community Pays Tribute to Fallen Comrade
- October 29, 2017
- How To Handle A Brand New Bike
- December 23, 2016
- Bike Hit-and-Run in San Diego
- September 12, 2016
- Broken Bones Sustained in Bike Accidents in San Diego
- September 7, 2016
- San Diego Bicycle Road Rash Injuries
- August 25, 2016
Call the Jurewitz Law Group at (619) 233-5020 and begin your path to recovery with a no-cost consultation today.