Compensation for a Child Injured at School
Schools hold a particular position of trust. Parents are required to send their children to school and rely on teachers‚ administrators‚ and school districts to keep them safe from harm. Most teachers and school administrators perform their jobs well‚ but acts of negligence occur‚ and tragic accidents and serious injuries to children can take place at school‚ or in school-related activities.
If your child has suffered a serious accident or injury at school‚ your best course of action is to consult with a knowledgeable child injury lawyer as soon as possible. School districts have a duty to exercise reasonable care when supervising their students‚ and may be held liable when they fail to do so‚ if that failure is the proximate cause of injury to the child.
Our San Diego child injury attorneys at Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers provide aggressive and dedicated representation in school accident and injury matters. We have the skills‚ resources‚ and knowledge of California law to effectively handle your child school injury claim. Call our office today at (619) 233-5020 or (888) 233-5020 to schedule a free consultation.
Types of School Accidents and Injuries
When schools and school districts fail to exercise reasonable care‚ children may be injured in a number of ways‚ including:
- Playground accidents
- Sports injuries
- Premises liability accidents
- Wandering off campus
- School bus accidents
- Field trip accidents
- Crosswalk accidents
- Bullying cases leading to injury
- Assault and battery
- Child abuse by school personnel
- Sexual molestation
Proving Liability in a San Diego School Accident and Injury Claims
To pursue your claim for compensation‚ your attorney will need to show that the four elements of negligence exist in your case:
- A duty of care is owed to the plaintiff.
- The responsible party breached its duty of care to the plaintiff.
- Defendant was the actual and proximate cause of the plaintiff’s damages.
- Plaintiff suffered harm resulting from the defendant’s negligence.
Your child injury lawyer will need to prove that the school had a duty of care to protect your child and failed in or breached that duty‚ which caused your child’s injuries. Schools and school districts may be held liable for:
- Failure to supervise students: When teachers and staff that are left to supervise students do not have the necessary training‚ it may create a dangerous environment in which children can suffer injuries.
- Criminal assaults and acts of violence: Reasonable care must be taken to prevent foreseeable acts of violence‚ including acts committed by other students‚ teachers and staff‚ and outside individuals who have infiltrated the campus.
- School bus accidents: The school can be held liable for school bus injuries‚ even though the student is no longer on the school campus‚ and the duty of care continues until the student is delivered to a safe location.
Who Is Responsible When Your Child Is Injured at a San Diego School?
If your child has been injured through school negligence‚ contact Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers right away. You may be entitled to seek compensation to cover medical expenses‚ lost wages‚ and a range of other losses. Our San Diego personal injury lawyers are committed to seeking justice for what happened to your child‚ and holding the responsible parties accountable. Contact Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers at (888) 233-5020.
- Common Types of School Injuries Suffered by Children
- Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers Supports Anti-bullying Campaign
- Back to School Safety Tips
- Five Tips for Back to School Safety
- School-Transportation-Related Crashes
- Distracted Drivers in School Zones
- Sports and Recreation Safety Fact Sheet (2015)