The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has announced that more than 1.3 million defective Kidde smoke detectors/carbon monoxide alarms have been recalled due to a programming error that may cause the alarms to fail in a power outage.

Frighteningly, the compromised fire/carbon monoxide alarms could fail to warn consumers of a fire or the presence of carbon monoxide gas. The units are hardwired and designed to be linked to a home’s power source.

Carbon monoxide is a toxic odorless, colorless gas that is almost impossible to detect before it causes injury and even death. Carbon monoxide exposure is the leading cause of fatal poisonings in the United States.

About 1.2 million of the units were sold in the U.S. and another 12,000 were sold in Canada. The alarms were sold at Menards, City Electric Supply, Home Depot and other brick and mortar retail outlets from January 2014 through July 2014. The units were also sold online at

The CPSC says that consumers who bought the alarms should contact Kidde or visit the company website to get more information on the units and how to get the alarms replaced.

The possibility of a smoke alarm or carbon monoxide detector failing during an emergency is a frightening prospect. These units need to sound the alarm in the event of fire or carbon monoxide exposure. You are literally placing your life in the trust that these units are working properly.

If you have an injury or property damage due to a defective product, contact the product liability attorneys at the Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers in San Diego. We believe that those who sell defective products should be held accountable for the damages they inflict. We can be reached online or call us at (888) 233-5020 to find out what your legal options are.

Contact Us

Downtown Office
Map icon 600 B Street, Suite #1450 San Diego, CA 92101
Downtown Office
Map icon 2667 Camino del Rio South, Suite 301-12, San Diego, CA 92108