San Diego Brain Contusion Lawyer
Brain Contusions in a Motor Vehicle Accident
Our brain controls every function of our body. This is why contusions and other brain injuries can have such a life altering effect on a person. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) defines a “brain contusion” as “a bruise on the brain.” This means that blood leaking from nearby veins has mixed with brain tissue. This is most often caused by a sudden back and forth jerking of the head as the result of an accident or assault.
If you feel that you or a family member has suffered the effects of a brain contusion injury‚ you absolutely need to contact an experienced San Diego contusion attorney. The San Diego and Carlsbad offices of Jurewitz Law Group have represented injury victims for over 15 years. We are passionate about the rights of injury victims and will take a personal interest in your case.
Call our San Diego injury lawyers today for a free consultation at (888) 233-5020.
Types of Brain Trauma
More than half of all reported traumatic brain injuries are the result of motor vehicle accidents. This is not surprising when you consider the speed at which modern trucks and cars can travel. Vehicle related brain injuries generally fall in to one of two categories.
- Blunt force trauma: When the skull strikes an object‚ such as a steering wheel‚ windshield‚ dashboard‚ etc.
- Brain contusion: As mentioned above‚ contusions are caused by the brain moving around inside the skull. Contusions can be caused by the sudden stop or start of a vehicle. While seat belts and airbags may be able to prevent blunt force trauma‚ they can do little to prevent brain contusions.
What are the Symptoms of a Brain Contusion?
Unlike blunt force trauma injuries‚ brain contusions often have no outward symptoms. The following are warning signs one should look out for following a motor vehicle accident:
- Memory loss
- Attention difficulties
- Emotional disturbances and mood swings
- Motor skill and coordination difficulties
- Inability to understand speech or to speak
- Numbness in certain body parts
If you or a family member notices any of these signs following a vehicle accident‚ get to an emergency room as soon as possible.
Damages for a Brain Contusion Injury in San Diego
Brain contusions can severely affect and even threaten a person’s life. If you or a loved one has suffered such an injury due to the negligent or careless act of another‚ they may pursue damages for:
- Current medical bills
- Future medical bills (brain contusions sometimes require delicate‚ risky surgeries)
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages from missed work
- Loss of career or earning capacity
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Permanent injury or disability
- Wrongful death damages
Contact Jurewitz Law Group After a Brain Contusion in San Diego
Brain injuries can severely alter the lives of an accident victim and their family. If you find yourself in such position‚ it is vital that you contact a San Diego brain injury attorney. The legal team at the Southern California offices of Jurewitz Law Group are passionate and aggressive in pursuing justice on our client’s behalf.
To get the settlement you and your family deserve‚ call (888) 233-5020 for a free case assessment.
- Contusion – Brain Injury Association of America
- Brain Contusion Imaging
- Cerebral Contusions and Lacerations