Perched on the edge of the bright blue Pacific‚ Oceanside is a boater’s paradise. Whether you prefer sailing‚ fishing‚ or using personal water craft‚ Oceanside’s miles of coastline are inviting throughout the year. Unfortunately‚ while boating is a fun leisure activity‚ it also holds its share of inherent dangers. According to the California Department of Boating and Waterways‚ San Diego County had 42 boating accidents in 2012 (the most recent year statistics are available). These accidents resulted in 30 injuries‚ and four fatalities.
No one wants a fun day out on the Pacific to end with an accident or injury‚ but with the growing congestion of San Diego County’s waterways‚ that is happening with increasing frequency. If you have been involved in a San Diego County boating accident‚ it is vital that you seek the representation of an experienced Oceanside personal injury attorney.
Jurewitz Law Group | Injury & Accident Lawyers have been successfully representing Southern California boaters who have suffered property loss‚ injury‚ and wrongful death for years. Call us for a free consultation by dialing (888) 233-5020 today.
Federal Maritime Law Verses State Tort Law
Differences between federal maritime law and state tort law are significant‚ and can drastically affect the outcome of a boat accident claim. An experienced boat accident attorney can help you figure out which type of law applies to your case and which type of law will be most beneficial to your claim.
Common Causes of Boating Accidents
For the most part‚ boating accidents are caused by human errors such as:
- Inattention of operator – 36 percent
- Inexperience of operator – 22 percent
- Speeding – 21 percent
- Passenger behavior – 14 percent
Other common causes of boating accidents include:
- Impairment of the boat’s operator
- Weather and sea conditions
- Boat or equipment failure or defect
- Not having appropriate safety equipment on board
Who Can Be Held Liable In A Boating Accident
Much like an automobile accident‚ the liable party can be anyone whose negligent behavior contributed to the occurrence of the accident. These possible liable parties can include:
- The water craft’s owner
- The water craft’s operator
- The operator of the water craft that struck your craft (collision with another vessel is the most frequently occurring type of boating accident)
- The manufacturer of the water craft‚ or manufacturer of equipment on the water craft
- A passenger on the water craft
- An owner or employee of a dock‚ marina‚ or other facility where the accident occurred
Damages in a Boating Accident
Compensation for damages in a boating accident are the same as they would be in an automobile accident or any other personal injury claim‚ including:
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent injury or disability
- Mental anguish and emotional duress
- Property loss or damage
- Punitive damages
- Wrongful death damages
Contact Jurewitz Law Group | Injury & Accident Lawyers
If you have been injured or lost a loved one in a boating accident‚ you deserve to be compensated for your losses. To get a settlement worthy of your losses‚ it is important to be represented by an attorney with experience in boat accident claims. Jurewitz Law Group | Injury & Accident Lawyers has successfully represented San Diego area boat accident victims in the past and would be eager to add our skills and knowledge to the success of your claim. Call us today at (888) 233-5020.