Common Causes of Slip-and-Falls
Slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall accidents often occur due to lack of maintenance‚ care or negligence on the part of property owners or managers. Here are a few common causes of slip and fall accidents:
- Wet surfaces: It is easy to slip on a wet‚ slick surface. This is why property owners must put up slippery floor warning signs when there has been a spill or when a floor has been recently mopped or waxed.
- Uneven surfaces: Uneven surfaces are extremely dangerous. Walkways cluttered with debris‚ defective sidewalks‚ loose floorboards‚ torn carpeting and poorly constructed or damaged staircases can turn a walking surface into a serious hazard.
- Weather conditions: Property owners cannot control the weather‚ but they can make sure their premises are safe and dry. Chula Vista business owners must put out dry mats and post warning signs when the floor is wet.
- Improper training and supervision: A number of slip-and-fall accidents occur at the worksite. There are many fields‚ such as manufacturing and construction‚ which require workers to walk along difficult and even slippery pathways. In such cases‚ employers should take every possible precaution to prevent such accidents.
- Nursing home neglect: Elderly adults are particularly vulnerable to falling incidents. It is crucial for nursing homes to have proper safety features to prevent falling accidents.
Injuries and Compensation
Slip-and-fall accidents can result in serious or life-changing injuries such as head injuries‚ neck and back injuries‚ multiple broken bones or even internal organ damage. Those who suffer such injuries may not be able to return to work for weeks or even months. Some may never be able to work again. Others may require extensive rehabilitative treatments such as physical therapy or chiropractic care to recover or maintain their quality of life. Injured victims of slip-and-fall accidents can seek compensation for damages including medical expenses‚ lost wages‚ hospitalization‚ surgeries‚ rehabilitation‚ permanent injuries‚ disabilities‚ pain and suffering and mental anguish.
If you have been injured on someone else’s property‚ take a moment to assess your injuries. Make sure you file a report with the person in charge. Get prompt medical attention and treatment. Take photographs of the property where the accident occurred and your injuries. Contact an experienced Chula Vista accident attorney at the Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers who will fight for your rights‚ hold the negligent parties accountable and help you secure fair and full compensation for all your losses.