What You Need to Know about San Diego Dog Bite Attacks
San Diego was ranked number 2 in most dog attacks in 2011 by the U.S. Postal Service, which was right under Los Angeles. According to the statistics given by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), out of the 4.7 million Americans who are bitten by dogs each year, more than half are young children. On an annual basis, around 12 to 20 people die each year due to dog bite attacks. Here is some additional information:
- President of Prevent The Bite, a non- profit organization, says that young kids are three times more likely to be bitten by dogs as compared to adults.
- In 2011, around 30,000 plastic surgeries and reconstructive procedures were carried out on kids bitten by dogs, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
- In 2011, dog bites accounted for nearly 1/3rd of the homeowner insurance liability claims paid.
- According to a report submitted by State Farm Insurance, every year, nearly five million are either injured or mauled to death in dog bite attacks.
- In 2010, victims of dog bite attacks claimed for insurance in 369 cases and the total value of the compensation earned was up to approximately $11 million.
- Since the year 2003, dog bite attacks have increased by a startling percentage of 48%, which was reported by Insurance Institute in a report.
Severe Extent of Dog Bite Injuries
Depending on the dog bite attack, the severity of the injuries suffered by a victim can differ. In some cases, the dog bite victims may lose their hands or legs. There are some attacks that leave behind psychological damages on the victims, such as tremendous fear and anxiety of experiencing another dog bite attack. Others may need reconstructive surgeries to rebuild physical features that were altered by the attack.
Holding Dog Owners Responsible
People who have lost their loved one or have gone through a painful recovery because of a dog attack may be eligible for legal compensation from the dog owner. Dog owners in such cases might be required to pay for the medical costs, lost wages, funeral and burial costs, and all other damages due to the dog bite attack. It is the owner’s responsibility to take precaution through proper training and care of each pet to prevent dog attacks from happening.
If you or someone you care about have been injured in a dog bite attack, get in touch with a San Diego dog bite law firm that will fight for the rights of dog bite victims.
Ross Jurewitz is the founder and managing lawyer of the Jurewitz Law Group, a San Diego personal injury attorney law firm. These San Diego injury accident lawyers specialize in helping people seriously injured in a variety of accidents throughout San Diego County and California.
Connect with Ross Jurewitz on Google+