Common Ear Injuries That Lead To Hearing Loss
Imagine going to a ballgame at Petco Park on a beautiful summer evening. The cool breeze, the nachos and hot dogs, the family and friends – but you can’t hear anything. Or imagine a Thanksgiving dinner surrounded by loved ones, great food, a home full of warmth and joy – but you’re left out, because you can’t hear the laughter, the children playing, or the stories being told.
Most of us take our ability to hear for granted, but the human ear is a complex organ that can be easily damaged in a manner that can lead to a lifetime of difficulty with hearing.
Here are some of the most common forms of ear trauma:
- Acoustic trauma is injury to the inner ear due to overexposure to high decibel noise.
- Cauliflower ear is when the external area of the ear is exposed to blunt force and fluid gathers around the outer part of the ear.
- Injury to the ear canal can occur when something like a cotton swab or a pencil is inserted into the ear.
- Tinnitus is a buzzing or ringing in the ear.
- Middle ear infection occur from perforations inside the ear as a result of blows to the ear, severe changes in atmospheric pressure, or improper cleaning of the ear.
- Inner ear trauma can result from dizziness or unsteadiness and the injuries are often permanent.
If this has happened to you or someone you love and are considering legal representation, it is important for you to know some basic facts. Knowing the circumstances can help you assess whether or not pursuing a lawsuit may be viable.
- You cannot file a lawsuit for temporary hearing loss.
- You can file a lawsuit if you have been injured in one ear only, perhaps as a result of one side of your body being exposed to an explosion or loud blast.
- The damage to each of your ears does not have to be on an equal level to one another. Simply put, one ear may be more damaged than the other and that would not prevent you from filing a lawsuit.
If you or somebody you know has experienced hearing loss due to an injury, contact the San Diego hearing loss attorneys at Jurewitz Law Group today at (888) 233-5020 for a free, no obligation consultation.
Ross Jurewitz is the founder and managing lawyer of the Jurewitz Law Group, a San Diego personal injury attorney law firm. These San Diego injury accident lawyers specialize in helping people seriously injured in a variety of accidents throughout San Diego County and California.
Connect with Ross Jurewitz on Google+