Representation for Victims of Elder Neglect
Every year‚ thousands of elderly San Diego residents are neglected in their own homes‚ in relatives’ homes and even in facilities responsible for their care. Nursing homes and family members have a duty and obligation to their elders to provide full-time care and medical treatment to those who cannot take care of themselves. When they fail to do this‚ elder neglect occurs and an elder’s health is put at risk. Elder neglect can be active‚ like withholding food‚ water‚ or medicine from an elder‚ or passive‚ such as ignoring or being in denial of an elder’s needs.
Where Does This Happen?
It is become extremely demanding to care for an elder‚ and so‚ many older Americans are being cared for by others outside of their immediate family‚ either by hired help or in long-term care facilities. Though elder neglect happens on several occasions in nursing homes‚ it most often occurs in the home‚ by adult children‚ grandchildren‚ or spouses of elders.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Elder Neglect?
- Unusual weight loss‚ malnutrition‚ dehydration
- Untreated physical problems‚ such as bed sores
- Unsanitary living conditions: dirt‚ bugs‚ soiled bedding and clothes
- Being left dirty or unbathed
- Unsuitable clothing or covering for the weather
- Unsafe living conditions (no heat or running water; faulty electrical wiring‚ other fire hazards)
- Desertion of the elder at a public place
How is Elder Neglect Treated?
- Proper Diet and Nutrition
- Intravenous (IV) Infusion of Fluid or Medication
- Surgeries or Wound Care
Report Elder Neglect in San Diego
If you or someone you know is being neglected‚ tell someone you trust and act immediately. In the U.S.‚ you can also call Eldercare Locator at (800) 677-1116 to get help. You should also contact an elder neglect lawyer right away. The experienced San Diego elder abuse attorneys at the Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers are trained at handling these kinds of situations. It is important that the abuser be brought to justice‚ and damages caused by the elder be compensated. Call us at (888) 233-5020 so we can ensure the safety of the victim and prevent others from being neglected.