Under California law, drivers are required to yield to pedestrians crossing the road. They also must exercise due care to avoid collisions with pedestrians who are crossing at dangerous locations. If you are involved in a pedestrian accident, you could face citations from the authorities and financial liability for the pedestrian’s medical bills, suffering and other related damages. Therefore, it is crucial for all Carlsbad drivers to remember these five safety tips:
- Limit your distractions. One of the leading causes of traffic accidents is driver distraction. If you are looking at your phone, you are much more likely to miss when a pedestrian has stepped into your lane of traffic. Cell phone use, however, is only one form of driver distraction that can lead to a pedestrian accident. Remember to not take your hands off the wheel or your eyes off the road while your car is in motion.
- Use extra caution in areas with heavy pedestrian traffic. Keep an eye out for pedestrians near intersections, crosswalks, shopping malls, restaurants, bars, and movie theatres.
- Make eye contact. Never assume to know what a pedestrian is going to do. Before turning at an intersection or turning into a driveway, make eye contact with any nearby pedestrians. This way, you both are aware of the situation.
- Remember that you can encounter pedestrians anywhere and at anytime. Many of the most serious pedestrian accidents do not occur at intersections but in the middle of the roadway where pedestrians should not cross. Keep your eyes open for pedestrians at all times and pay extra attention for pedestrians who step into traffic from between parked cars.
- Obey the law. You must yield to pedestrians crossing the road at an intersection. You also must obey traffic lights and stop signs. You will be held accountable for pedestrian accidents you cause by driving negligently.
If you have been injured in a Carlsbad pedestrian accident, make sure you file a police report, get prompt medical attention and contact an experienced personal injury attorney at Jurewitz Law Group. You may be able to seek compensation for your significant injuries, damages, and losses.
Ross Jurewitz is the founder and managing lawyer of the Jurewitz Law Group, a San Diego personal injury attorney law firm. These San Diego injury accident lawyers specialize in helping people seriously injured in a variety of accidents throughout San Diego County and California.
Connect with Ross Jurewitz on Google+