There are many types of serious injuries that can affect the victim’s quality of life for months or even years. A catastrophic injury is one that results in death, a permanent disability, or a long-term injury. It is possible to suffer a catastrophic injury in a Carlsbad car crash, bike accident, slip-and-fall accident, or any number of violent and sudden collisions. When someone suffers a catastrophic injury in one of these accidents, it is important for him or her to receive financial support that adequately covers years of medical treatment and rehabilitation.
The cause of the accident will determine whether the victim will be able to receive financial support. In a Carlsbad car accident, for example, the at-fault driver can be held accountable for the victim’s catastrophic injuries. In such cases, the victim will have to prove that:
- He or she was injured in the accident
- The at-fault party was negligent or reckless at the time of the accident
- That negligence contributed to the victim’s injuries
Insurance providers and at-fault parties commonly deny responsibility to protect their bottom line. In order to hold them accountable, catastrophic injury victims often have to file a personal injury claim in court. Building a solid case can prove challenging, but it can be done with proper legal guidance. A skilled Carlsbad personal injury attorney will help:
- Gather evidence
- Stay abreast of the ongoing investigation
- Secure expert testimony from investigators and medical professionals
- Help calculate the actual damages suffered including future losses related to medical bills and lost wages
- Hold the at-fault party accountable for nonfinancial losses such as physical pain, mental anguish, loss of quality of life, and other related damages
If you or a loved one has suffered a serious injury in a Carlsbad accident, please do not hesitate to research your rights and options. An experienced Carlsbad personal injury attorney can help you or a loved one secure fair and full compensation for all your losses.