One of the worst things that can happen to anyone is being involved in a traffic accident. But you are not alone. With more than 25 million licensed drivers in California, it is certainly not an unusual occurrence. Unfortunately, that fact does not make it any easier when you or someone close to you has sustained a serious injury due to another driver’s negligence.
There are a number of things you should do immediately following the collision to ensure that the injured parties receive medical attention and that there is accurate documentation of the accident.
Your first priority is to help the injured parties, including yourself. You or another passenger should call 911 to report the accident and to alert medical personnel and law enforcement to come to the scene. While medical workers attend to the injured parties, the responding officer will inspect the accident scene and fill out a detailed CHP 555 Traffic Collision Report. After the officer has filed the report, you can request a copy of it by printing out and completing the CHP 190 form. Below are the steps for completing and submitting the form:
In order to get a copy of the responding officer’s CHP 555 Traffic Collision Report, you must:
- Attach a copy of your driver’s license or other photo ID to the CHP 190 form. If you do not have a photo ID, a notary must certify the form or your personal statement.
- Once your form is verified, attach your ID to the form, and mail it or bring it to an area office.
- A copy of the completed CHP 555 Traffic Collision Report report will be mailed to you upon receipt of payment.
One of Our Attorneys Will Review the CHP 555 Traffic Collision Report With You
If you are unsure about how to wade through the vast number of details included in the CHP 555 report, rest assured that one of our attorneys at the Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers will go over every line with you. Just call (619) 233-5020, or fill out our contact form for a free consultation. This is the time for you to speak up about anything you believe is inaccurate in the report.
When Ross Jurewitz and his wife Lee established the firm in 2007, they made a commitment to always represent victims. They know that insurance companies have a vested interest in preserving their assets, not in getting you the compensation you deserve.
At Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers, we do not back down from the lawyers insurance companies hire to represent their interests. And if expert testimony helps us to get just compensation for you, we will call on our list of professionals representing all fields to serve as witnesses. We also have access to a pool of medical professionals who will attend to your needs while we proceed with building your claim. You’ll owe nothing upfront.
What Is in the CHP Traffic Collision Report?
The CHP 555 Traffic Collision Report is the starting point in building a case against a negligent driver. It documents every detail relating to the accident. It is possible that the report may imply that you were negligent to some degree in causing the accident. But you can be confident that one of our experienced lawyers at Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers will gather evidence to help disprove that allegation if you were not at fault.
- The first part of the report contains the location, time, and date of the crash, information about the parties involved and their vehicles (including insurance data and damage estimates). If there are pictures of the collision scene, they will be included.
- The second section details damage to the vehicles and other property, as well as any possible causative factors such as weather, driver inattentiveness, safety restraints, driver impairment, roadway conditions, markers, signals or signs for traffic control, types of collisions (front, rear, side, rotational, rollover accidents); descriptions of vehicles, passenger seating locations in vehicles, and other factors, such as pedestrian involvement.
- The last section is the law enforcement officer’s sketch of the accident scene.
Additional Information That Can Help Win Your Case
Besides obtaining a copy of your CHP 555 Traffic Collision Report by filing a CHP 190, you should keep a file of all the paperwork related to your injuries to share with your attorney.
- Office visit summaries (diagnoses, recommendations for care, current and future)
- X-rays, scans, and laboratory tests
- Medical procedures, such as biopsies and operations
- Prescription medications
- Bills from doctors, surgeons, anesthesia professionals, hospitals, laboratories, rehabilitative services, and caregivers
- Records of bills, receipts, and insurance statements (including the amount paid toward them), either by you and/or a medical insurance company.
Call the Experienced Legal Team at the Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers
After receiving medical care, you, or someone close to you should contact the Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers. Call (619) 233-5020 or fill out our contact form for an immediate response. Incredibly, the consultation is free. You’ll get to talk to someone from a firm that is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. This means that they have won millions of dollars for their clients. This elite group includes just one percent of the nation’s lawyers. The case is clear: get Jurewitz on your side.