Four people suffered carbon monoxide poisoning currently due to unknown reasons at a house in the 900 block of Cypress Avenue on January 14, 2013, around 12 p.m.
According to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department, all of the victims were immediately rushed to UCSD Medical Center for medical treatment. Our personal injury law office sincerely hopes that the victims recover from their injuries fully.
The San Diego Gas & Electric crews evaluated the situation to determine the exact level of carbon monoxide (CO) in the house and what piece of equipment was emitting carbon monoxide. Further investigation is certainly required to determine the exact cause.
Carbon monoxide is tough to detect and it is now required by the state of California to have a CO detector installed inside your home to prevent such incidents from occurring. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be treated when diagnosed promptly and permanent harm can be prevented by acting in a timely manner.
Carbon monoxide can be produced by several household items, and when these items are defected or not properly maintained, it can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. Prolonged exposure to high levels of CO can result in seizures, stroke, chest pain, and even death.
According to the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), more than 20,000 people have died due to carbon monoxide poisoning in the year 2006 in the United States.
When such incidents occur due to someone else’s negligence, the at-fault party can and should be held liable for all injuries to innocent victims. Carbon monoxide victims need to seek quality legal representation for their case in order to obtain a just settlement.
Maintenance and periodic equipment replacement is a necessary defense against carbon monoxide poisoning. If you find that carbon monoxide is present in your home, immediately turn off all the appliances if possible, evacuate the premises, and immediately call 911. It is very fortunate that the family of four is not in a life threatening state and to prevent this from happening to your family, please contact SDG&E at 1-800-411-SDGE (7343) for a quick appliance inspection for the safety of your family.