All bikers should know the importance of motorcycle safety. Unfortunately, most experienced San Diego motorcycle accident attorneys have seen how severe a motorcyclist’s injuries can be when a biker forgets a key piece of safety gear.
Although wearing these top five pieces of safety gear won’t prevent all accidents, they can reduce the risk of serious injuries or death if a negligent driver or other person causes a crash. When you ride in the San Diego area, remember these five items:
- Helmet – A motorcycle helmet reduces the risk of death or traumatic brain injury by at least 37 percent, according to a study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- Eye protection – Eye protection may be part of your helmet, such as a face shield, or it may be separate, such as goggles. In either case, eye protection keeps dirt and debris out of your eyes, helping you spot and avoid hazards.
- Gloves – Your hands are crucial to safe biking, they not only help you stay on the bike and balanced, they also control key systems like the throttle and brake. Protect your hands from flying debris and other hazards with heavy gloves designed for motorcycle riding.
- Jacket – Motorcycle jackets may be made of leather, Kevlar, or other durable materials. A jacket protects you from flying debris. It also helps protect you from “road burn” if you fall.
- Boots – Boots protect your feet from debris, burns, and other injuries that may occur while riding or during a fall. Boots should cover your feet, fit securely, and be designed to take a beating.
If you’re injured while biking this fall, the dedicated San Diego motorcycle accident attorneys at Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers can help. Contact us today to learn more.