Bakersfield Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
If you suffered injuries in a pedestrian accident due to someone’s negligence, contact the Bakersfield personal injury attorneys of Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers right now to learn about your legal options. You might be entitled to financial compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses. We could represent you in your case against the negligent party and hold them liable for their actions.
Life-threatening injuries can happen to pedestrians in accidents involving motor vehicles. Some motorists break traffic laws and don’t pay attention to people crossing the street. This increases the risk of injury or death to pedestrians. Unlike vehicle occupants, pedestrians have nothing to protect them during the impact of a collision. The sudden and violent forces placed on the body in a crash with a vehicle can cause permanent injuries and long-term medical problems.
Accidents involving pedestrians can occur in a range of situations. They don’t only happen at intersections. Collisions can happen anywhere there’s foot traffic. If someone enters a crosswalk, walks to their car in a parking lot, or jogs on the side of the road, they’re at risk. Injuries are often debilitating and require ongoing treatment to heal. Some victims never recover and must live with lifelong physical impairments or disabilities.
At Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers, we know the devastation of suffering an injury as a pedestrian. When you get hit by a car, you could face painful treatment with various doctors to manage your symptoms and improve mobility. You might need surgery to repair broken bones and internal bleeding. If you can’t take care of yourself, you’ll need to hire someone to assist you with basic tasks, such as showering and dressing.
Our Bakersfield pedestrian accident lawyers are ready to fight for you. We will advocate for your rights and provide aggressive representation during your case. You can count on our legal team to meet your needs and try to achieve your desired goals. We will treat you as a priority and seek the justice you deserve.
Call Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers at (619) 233-5020 today for your free consultation. Let’s determine whether you have a case you can pursue.
Common Types of Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrians can be victims of someone else’s misconduct under a range of circumstances. The most common types of pedestrian accidents include:
- Right-turn accidents – A driver approaching an intersection must look for pedestrians about to cross the street. Turning right without checking aims the vehicle directly at any pedestrian in the crosswalk.
- Parking lot accidents – Although typically at low speeds, collisions can happen between cars and pedestrians in parking lots. They often occur if a driver isn’t paying attention to their surroundings while driving through the lot.
- Crosswalk accidents – Pedestrians can use designated crosswalks to walk across the road safely. Motorists are supposed to yield the right of way when necessary. If a driver doesn’t slow down and stop for someone already in the crosswalk, they could hit the person with their car.
- Left-turn accidents – Turning left when there isn’t a green arrow might require a driver to check for anyone headed in their direction before proceeding. Ignoring pedestrians while making a left-hand turn could have fatal consequences.
- Backing up accidents – Drivers should back out of parking spaces cautiously. It’s crucial to look over their shoulders before backing up to ensure no pedestrians are crossing their path.
- Hit and run accidents – A driver might flee the scene of a pedestrian accident without calling the police. Hit and runs typically happen when a motorist is under the influence or breaks the law in another way and doesn’t want to get caught.
If you suffered injuries in any type of pedestrian accident, do not hesitate to reach out to Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers. We can investigate the crash and determine whether you’re entitled to financial compensation.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Human error is a common factor that contributes to pedestrian accidents. Some motorists allow distractions to take their attention away from the road ahead. Others speed and break traffic laws. Careless behavior negatively affects driving abilities and prevents people from having complete control over their cars.
The most common causes of accidents involving pedestrians include:
- Driving under the influence – Drugs and alcohol can affect a person’s physical and mental functioning. Impaired drivers have more difficulty noticing pedestrians and reacting quickly to avoid crashes. Driving under the influence causes a range of dangerous symptoms, including poor decision-making, reduced motor skills, slower reaction time, and altered sensory perception.
- Distracted driving – Texting, changing the radio, eating, and other tasks impair driving abilities. Drivers can’t focus on what’s happening around them when distractions preoccupy their minds. Seeing a pedestrian about to cross the street isn’t possible when a motorist looks down at their cell phone or turns to talk to a passenger.
- Failure to yield – Right of way laws require drivers to yield to pedestrians in various situations. Motorists must allow foot traffic to proceed at crosswalks, intersections, and school zones. When drivers run a red light or turn without checking for anyone approaching, they put pedestrians in danger.
- Speeding – Exceeding the speed limit is a serious problem for a number of reasons. A driver could lose control of their car while speeding. Traveling at high speeds also makes it more challenging to slow down or stop to avoid a person in the middle of the road. High-speed accidents are often fatal to pedestrians.
Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers can take on any case involving a pedestrian accident. We know how to apply our knowledge and state laws to show that our clients deserve compensation for their injuries.
Common Injuries in Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents can be violent and often lead to severe injuries and lifelong medical problems. The human body can’t withstand the sudden force of a vehicle crashing into it. The impact can launch a person into the air and cause broken bones, a concussion, and various other injuries.
Many accident victims require emergency medical care in the immediate aftermath. Some have to undergo surgery to heal internal damage. Rehabilitation to restore physical movement and prescriptions to manage pain might also be necessary.
The most common injuries in pedestrian accidents include:
- Loss of limb
- Traumatic brain injury
- Broken bones
- Road rash
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Emotional or mental distress
- Nerve damage
- Pelvic injuries
Sometimes, the psychological trauma of a pedestrian accident can be more severe than the physical injury. Many people recover from concussions and broken bones but have lingering emotional strain. Post-traumatic stress disorder and depression are common in these types of situations. It’s often difficult to cope with what happened and overcome the fear of leaving the house or being around vehicles.
Compensation Available for Injuries in a Pedestrian Accident
California is a fault state. That means the party that causes a person’s injuries is financially responsible for the resulting medical treatment and other losses. Although you were a pedestrian when the accident happened, you could file a claim with the negligent driver’s auto insurance carrier.
State law requires liability coverage for every motorist. The minimum limits on these policies include:
- $15,000 for injury or death to one person
- $30,000 for injury or death to more than one person
- $5,000 for property damage
When you file a liability insurance claim, the settlement you receive could cover various losses, including:
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Medical bills
- Physical impairment or disfigurement
- Emotional distress
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
You could pursue exemplary damages in a lawsuit against the at-fault driver or another negligent party. This type of compensation is only available if you provide clear and convincing evidence that the defendant acted with malice, oppressed you, or committed fraud.
Pedestrian accidents can be deadly. If your loved one died due to someone else’s negligent actions, you could pursue a wrongful death case against them. The compensation you receive might compensate you for accident-related losses, such as:
- The reasonable dollar value of lost household services the deceased would have provided
- Funeral and burial costs
- Loss of the deceased’s guidance
- Lost gifts or benefits surviving family could have received from the deceased
- Surviving spouse’s loss of enjoyment of intimacy
- Financial support the deceased would have contributed if they survived
- Loss of companionship, comfort, moral support, protection, assistance, love, care, society, and affection
At Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers, our pedestrian accident attorneys in Bakersfield, CA, know how to maximize the value of a client’s case. We will review all factors to determine the financial award you need to cover your total losses. Whether you’re filing a lawsuit for your injury or your loved one’s death, we will tirelessly work to try to reach a favorable outcome.
Statute of Limitations for a Pedestrian Accident Lawsuit
You must file your lawsuit by a strict deadline if you want to hold the at-fault party liable for your injury. California’s statute of limitations allows a two-year window for lawsuits in pedestrian accidents. That means you must initiate your lawsuit within two years of the accident date. If the statutory deadline expires, you will likely lose your chance to seek compensation for your losses.
Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers take pedestrian accident cases seriously. We understand the severity of the injuries that can result from a crash between a pedestrian and motor vehicle. You need adequate compensation to afford your medical bills, so you don’t have to pay out of pocket. Our Bakersfield pedestrian accident lawyers will provide the guidance and support you need to get through this traumatic experience.
If someone else caused your injuries in a pedestrian accident, call Jurewitz Law Group Injury & Accident Lawyers for your free consultation at (619) 233-5020 today.