San Diego Seat Belt Malfunction Lawyers
Injuries Caused by Seat Belt Malfunction
With more than 633,000 licensed drivers in the city of San Diego, it is imperative motorists drive safely and distraction-free in order to avoid a dangerous collision, and vehicle safety features are continually being developed to help prevent traffic accidents. One such common safety feature intended to prevent serious injuries and restrain the occupants of a vehicle in the event of a crash is the safety belt, and when a seat belt works well, it is undeniably one of the most important safety devices in a vehicle. However, when a seat belt has a malfunction or defect, this crucial safety device may fail when you need it most.
Auto manufacturers are responsible for designing, building, and testing vehicles that are safe and free of any defect or flaw that could compromise crashworthiness and cause harm to a vehicle occupant or cause an accident. At the Jurewitz Law Group, our San Diego product liability lawyers understand the severe impact a defective seat belt can have on those involved in an accident and will work diligently to ensure the responsible parties are held liable for the harm caused.
Common Causes of Seat Belt Failure
San Diego motorists may believe that a seat belt, which is one of the most basic safety features on any vehicle, will be the least likely thing to fail during an accident. Unfortunately, seat belt malfunctions are known to happen, particularly when a seat belt undergoes extreme force in the sudden impact in a crash. Seat belt failure may have a number of different causes, such as the following:
- Design defects: A seat belt may be designed in a way that makes it unlikely to work in a safe manner, which can be a very hazardous defect.
- Retractor failure: During a collision, the retractor mechanism locks so it will remain snug, but if the retractor fails to appropriately lock, slack in the belt may occur which can cause serious injuries.
- Latch failure: Under normal conditions, a buckle clicks into the latch, but when a certain amount of force is exerted, the buckle may come free of the latching system.
- Webbing defect: A seat belt may have some sort of design flaw which can make it prone to splitting or tearing completely in the event of an accident.
Who is Liable for a Seat Belt Malfunction?
In the event a seat belt malfunction causes you harm or injury in an accident, any injured victim is legally able to pursue compensation from the parties responsible for the defect. The causes of seat belt failure are many, but the manufacture or design of the safety belt is likely to blame for a dangerous seat belt malfunction; as such, the automobile manufacturer or the designer of the safety restraint system may be held liable for the malfunction and pay for your accident-related losses. Accident-related damages can include compensation for vehicle repair; pain and suffering; medical bills and expenses; or lost wages as a result of missed work time. Being successful in this type of personal injury claim, however, can be difficult when a large corporation is involved who likely has a legal team of their own.
The Legal Guidance You Need to Move Forward
When one of the primary safety devices in a vehicle fails to work properly, a seat belt malfunction or defect may cause an innocent driver or his or her passengers to suffer very severe injuries because of the lack of restraint. San Diego motorists who have been harmed as a result of a seat belt malfunction should understand their legal rights and options, and speaking with a San Diego seat belt failure accident lawyer at the Jurewitz Law Group can be an excellent first step when deciding to file a claim. The lawyers of the Jurewitz Law Group have the resources, skills, and experts needed to prove liability in your case. For information on how we can help you with your claim and obtain winning results, please call (619) 233-5020 or (888) 233-5020.
- Just When You Thought It Was Safe to Go in the Water
- September 6, 2018
- That Gift Might Be Dangerous
- December 5, 2016
- Child Injuries from Defective Car Seats Can Be Catastrophic in San Diego
- November 17, 2016
- Injuries from Defective Airbags in San Diego Can Be Fatal
- November 7, 2016
- What to Do If Hurt by the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Recall
- October 31, 2016
Call the Jurewitz Law Group at (619) 233-5020 and begin your path to recovery with a no-cost consultation today.