San Diego Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
Representing Slip-and-Fall Accident Victims
Property owners have an obligation to those who lawfully enter their property and premises: to provide a reasonably safe environment. This obligation applies to private property owners as well as commercial property owners and their employees. In legal terms, this obligation is called a "duty of care." Failure of a property owner to provide a reasonably safe environment for lawful visitors is considered a violation, or a "breach," of their duty of care. How would a property owner violate or breach their duty of care?
By allowing a condition that could cause an injury to exist.
An example would be a homeowner whose front porch has a crumbling step or a grocery store manager who doesn’t put "Caution Wet Floor" signs around a freshly mopped floor. Both of these "breaches of duty of care" could result in a slip-and-fall accident.
One may not think a slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall accident is very serious, but these accidents are the number one reason for emergency room visits each year in this country (over 8 million). Slip-and fall-accidents are also the leading cause for missed days of work in America.
If you have been injured in a slip- or trip-and-fall accident, you could be entitled to compensation for certain damages. But don’t wait for a property owner to offer you a settlement worthy of your injuries - be proactive and consult an experienced San Diego slip-and-fall accident attorney. Since the year 2000, Jurewitz Law Group has successfully represented thousands of Southern California personal injury victims and secured them substantial settlements. For a free consultation, call our offices today at (619) 233-5020 or (888) 233-5020.
When the Floor Is Slippery: Issues of Liability
A slip-and-fall accident can occur anywhere, including:
- Public bathrooms
- Grocery stores
- Shopping malls
- Your workplace
- The home of a friend or neighbor
The first thing your San Diego personal injury lawyer will have to do is prove liability, meaning proving that the property owner is responsible for the accident and your injuries. This can be done through eyewitness testimony, photographs, and expert witnesses.
Common Causes of San Diego Slip-and-Fall Accidents
Slip-and-fall accidents can occur for many reasons, especially in today’s world where people are distracted by looking at their smart phones. With a little inattention, a fall can easily be caused by:
- Cluttered floors
- Loose floorboards
- Defective or damaged sidewalks
- Parking lot potholes
- Poorly constructed staircases
- Torn or frayed carpeting
- Recently mopped or waxed floors
- Spills on floors/slippery floors
Common Injuries in a Slip, Trip, and Fall Accident
It's quite common to suffer a few scrapes and bruises if you take a tumble. But there is a difference between a stumble and what courts consider slip-and-fall cases. Your life could be moderately impacted if you suffer:
- A sprained ankle
- Dental injuries
- Serious cuts
- A broken finger or bone (5% of falls result in fracture)
A slip-and-fall accident may cause you to spend more time focusing on your injury instead of your family and job. You could also face significant medical bills and lost wages as you recuperate.
Severe Injuries in a Slip-and-Fall Accident
In addition to the injuries mentioned above, falling could cause:
- Back injuries
- Fractured bones
- Brain trauma
- Neck injuries
- Organ rupture
- Internal bleeding
- Herniated discs
- Facial injuries
- Inflamed tendons
- Torn ligaments
- Hip fractures
You should definitely contact a personal injury lawyer if you have suffered a severe injury in a slip-and-fall accident.
Compensation for Fall Injuries
If you are injured due to an unsafe condition, the owner of the property where the accident occurred can be held liable for such damages as:
- Current medical bills
- Future medical bills resulting from your injury (reconstructive surgeries, plastic surgery, etc.)
- Pain and suffering
- Costs of physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Permanent injury or disability
- Household and vehicle modifications (wheelchair ramps, hospital beds, etc.)
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Lost wages
- Loss of career or earning capacity
- Reduced earning capacity
- Mental anguish and emotional duress
- Hedonic damages for loss of joy of life
- Punitive damages
Wrongful Death Compensation
Many people don’t associate slip-and-falls with death, but fatalities do result from these accidents. An estimated 15% of all accidental deaths are caused by slips, trips, and falls (20,000 per year in America). In the unfortunate event that you lose a loved one in such an accident, you and your family may be entitled to compensation for any of the following wrongful death damages:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering of the deceased before he/she died
- Mental anguish and emotional duress
- Loss of future income
- Loss of future benefits (such as medical benefits and retirement)
- Loss of love, affection, companionship, guidance, marital consortium, etc.
- Loss of household duties performed by the deceased (such as child care, accounting, property and vehicle maintenance, etc.)
Slip-and-fall accidents fall under the category of "premises liability," meaning the owner of the premises is ultimately responsible for keeping it safe. To have a successful premises liability claim, it is vital that you seek the representation of an experienced San Diego premises liability lawyer.
Slipped on Wet Floors? Here are 3 Things to Ask a San Diego Injury Lawyer
- Do you think I have a viable case? A San Diego injury lawyer won't be able to tell you exactly how much your case is worth, but he or she can tell if it is worth pursuing.
- What are your legal fees? Most lawyers who represent victims who were injured after slipping and falling will work on a contingency basis. This means the lawyer won't get paid unless your case wins. This alone gives them incentive to work hard on your behalf. Make sure you ask if the lawyer will charge a percentage of your settlement or by the hour. This will help you to avoid any surprises when your case ends.
- How will my case be handled? Ask if the lawyer you're speaking with will actually be handling your case. Find out if any other lawyers, paralegals or legal assistants will be working on your case, and whether the lawyer will keep open lines of communication with you.
Contact a San Diego Slip-and-Fall Accident Attorney at Jurewitz Law Group
There are deadlines on the time you have to file a personal injury claim against a negligent property owner. It's a good idea to take action quickly, while the facts of the accident are still fresh in the minds of witnesses.
For over 15 years, the San Diego personal injury attorneys at Jurewitz Law Group have successfully represented injury victims and their families. Call our offices at (619) 387-7503 or (888) 223-1434 today for a free case evaluation. We charge no up-front fees.
- Most Common Cart Derailment Injuries at Amusement Parks
- November 3, 2016
- Stadium Premises Liability in San Diego
- September 20, 2016
- Who is Responsible for a Slip, Trip, or Fall on a San Marcos Sidewalk?
- May 30, 2016
- Controversy Continues Over San Diego’s Cracked Sidewalks
- February 11, 2014
- Premises Liability Law – Legal Information for Injured Victims
- January 29, 2013
Slip and Fall Case Results
- Awarded: $250,000 - San Diego Trip and Fall Accident With Shoulder Surgery
- Awarded: $47,500 - Broken Ankle from Lemon Grove Trip and Fall
DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that the case results described above are not intended to be representative of usual results and not every result is typical or expected of every case. Every case is different and case values turn on small facts and differences. Please contact our office to discuss your case and the range of reasonable case values for your personal injury case.
TERMS: By viewing and reading the case values on this website, you are agreeing not to disseminate and distribute the case results described herein. The Jurewitz Law Group retains any and all rights with respect to the use and enforcement of copywrite and trademark violations with respect to any use which violated state or federal law.
Call the Jurewitz Law Group at (619) 233-5020 and begin your path to recovery with a no-cost consultation today.