San Diego Elderly Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
Top 4 Ways to Prevent Slip and Fall Injuries in the Elderly
1. Begin a regular exercise program.
Exercises that are designed to improve balance and coordination will decrease the chance of falling and make you stronger. Before you start, make sure that a doctor or other professional approves your exercise program.
2. Make your home safer.
- Remove clutter that you can trip over from the stairs and traffic areas.
- Make sure no extension cords are exposed.
- Keep rugs from slipping by using backing or tape.
- Keep items at easy access if you use it often.
- Have grab bars installed next to your toilet and tub/shower.
- Install handrails on all staircases.
- Use non-slip mats in the bathroom, or have a seat in the walk-in shower.
- Improve lighting, especially around the hallway and stairs. Have night lights too.
- Outdoor lighting is just as important.
- Wear shoes that are thick, non-slip, and give good support.
- If you have pets, be aware of where your pet is.
- Avoid broken sidewalks or areas under construction, if possible.
- If you are laying down, get up slowly if you have heart problems or high blood pressure.
3. Have your Health Care Provider Review Your Medicines
Bring all your medicines you take or make a list and have your doctor or pharmacist look at them, including over-the-counter medicines. As you get older, some medicines or combinations of them can make you drowsy or light-headed, which could lead to a fall.
4. Have your vision checked
If you have a prescription that is outdated or a condition tat limits your vision, it could increase your chances of falling.
About half of all falls happen at home. Thus, it is important to take the proper safety precautions and make your home as safe as possible. Remember, most falls are preventable. Don't wait until it is too late.
Nearly half the seniors who suffer from a serious fracture never completely recover from the injury. On top of the medical complications and bed-ridden conditions, almost 25% die within six months to a year following the injury.
If you or someone you love was injured in a fall because of a property safety hazard, contact the San Diego slip and fall accident attorneys at Jurewitz Law Group. Seniors who suffer from a serious fracture, such as a hip, pelvic, or spinal fracture, need medical attention immediately for an extensive period of time. Get the compensation you need to pay for these steep medical costs. We will get you back on your feet. Call our office at (888) 233-5020 to set up a free consultation.
- Most Common Cart Derailment Injuries at Amusement Parks
- November 3, 2016
- Stadium Premises Liability in San Diego
- September 20, 2016
- Who is Responsible for a Slip, Trip, or Fall on a San Marcos Sidewalk?
- May 30, 2016
- Controversy Continues Over San Diego’s Cracked Sidewalks
- February 11, 2014
- Premises Liability Law – Legal Information for Injured Victims
- January 29, 2013
Slip and Fall Case Results
- Awarded: $250,000 - San Diego Trip and Fall Accident With Shoulder Surgery
- Awarded: $47,500 - Broken Ankle from Lemon Grove Trip and Fall
DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that the case results described above are not intended to be representative of usual results and not every result is typical or expected of every case. Every case is different and case values turn on small facts and differences. Please contact our office to discuss your case and the range of reasonable case values for your personal injury case.
TERMS: By viewing and reading the case values on this website, you are agreeing not to disseminate and distribute the case results described herein. The Jurewitz Law Group retains any and all rights with respect to the use and enforcement of copywrite and trademark violations with respect to any use which violated state or federal law.
Call the Jurewitz Law Group at (619) 233-5020 and begin your path to recovery with a no-cost consultation today.