San Diego Broken Vertebrae Attorneys
Why Are Car Accidents Dangerous for Your Spine?
Americans spend a great deal of time in their cars. In fact, it is estimated that the average American will spend over five and a half years of their lives in their car. There's no doubt that this contributes to the fact that automobile accidents are the leading cause of death for people under the age of 35, and one of the leading causes of injury for all people. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that approximately 2.6 passenger vehicle occupants are injured in traffic accidents each year.
The type and severity of traffic accident injuries can range from minor cuts and bruises to permanently life altering spinal injuries that result in paralysis. Whether minor or severe, any injury is going to cost you precious time and money. If you or a family member has been injured in an auto accident, it is vital that you contact an experienced San Diego broken bone attorney.
For over 15 years, the San Diego personal injury lawyers at Jurewitz Law Group have been representing Southern California car accident victims, securing our clients substantial settlements. For a free consultation, call our offices today at (888) 233-5020.
A back injury can be extremely painful and cause your vertebrae to be permanently weakened. In extreme cases, it may cause neurological damage or disability. If you have been hurt, get medical assistance immediately and contact a personal injury lawyer to get the recovery you need. (Image Courtesy of North County Graphics)
Car Accidents and Spinal Injuries
When trying to understand why spinal injuries can be so devastating, it is helpful to think of the spinal cord as a conduit, carrying information from the brain throughout the rest of the body. The spinal cord allows us to move voluntarily and function involuntarily. It allows us to walk when we want to, as well as keeping the heart beating. The impact of even a moderate vehicle accident can seriously injure the spine and damage its ability to transfer needed information throughout the body. According to the Mayo Clinic, 40 percent of spinal injuries each year are caused by vehicle accidents.
Common Types of Car Crash Injuries
Spinal injuries from car accidents can generally be broken down into four categories.
- Whiplash: Whiplash is caused by the violent jerking backward, then forward, of the head. This is a common injury in rear end collisions.
- Spinal fractures: Compression fractures occur when the vertebrae are pulled apart and sometimes slip out of place. This is commonly caused by accidents where part of the body is held in place during an impact while the rest of the body isn't, such as when the lower body is restrained by a seatbelt and the upper body is able to pitch forward.
- Spondylolisithesis: This occurs when a vertebrae shifts out of place because of a stress fracture in the bone itself. If the displaced bone presses on a nerve or the spinal cord, it can cause pain, numbness, and impede bodily functions like walking or controlling one's bowels. In some cases, this type of injury won't be noticed until years later.
- Disc Herniation: Discs are like cushions between the vertebrae. In an accident, they can be compressed and rupture, causing the soft inner part of the disc to squeeze out through a small fissure in the disc's exterior. This can result in numbness, tingling, weakness in the affected area, and leg or arm pain.
Contact an Experienced Broken Vertebrae Attorney in San Diego
If you or a family member has suffered a spinal injury in a vehicle accident, you may be eligible for compensation for damages. To get the settlement you and your family deserve, call the San Diego accident lawyers at Jurewitz Law Group for a free consultation. Call (619) 233-5020 or (888) 233-5020 to begin your recovery.
- Vertebral Fracture Treatment & Management - Medscape
- Fractures of the Thoracic and Lumbar Spine-OrthoInfo - AAOS
- Mind the Falling Trees
- September 7, 2017
- But He’s So Cute!
- August 25, 2017
- Cars Can’t Swim! Heavy Rain May Lead to Flooding Dangers Throughout San Diego Area
- January 17, 2017
- Game Of Drones
- December 12, 2016
- Deals So Good It Hurts
- November 23, 2016
Call the Jurewitz Law Group at (619) 233-5020 and begin your path to recovery with a no-cost consultation today.