Tips for National Window Safety Week
With spring well on its way, families throughout California are opening their windows to enjoy the fresh air. Having windows open, however, can pose a risk, especially to children who may be enticed by what they can hear or see through the windows, but might not understand the risks of crawling into or playing near an open window.
Falls are one of the top causes of childhood injuries, and this includes falls from windows. Even falls from first-story windows can cause serious injuries, especially to small children. However, these falls can be prevented by following a few safety tips:
- Install window guards to keep small children from falling out of windows. Do not rely on screens to prevent falls; these can be broken or pushed out.
- Window stops prevent windows from being opened past the location of the window stop. They can help protect older children from falls, since the stops prevent the child from pushing the window open far enough to fall through.
- Windows should be locked and closed when they’re not being used.
- Moving furniture away from windows removes an incentive for children to climb up to windows, reducing the risk of falls.
- Supervise children at all times, especially when they are near windows.
If you or a child you love has been injured and you believe someone else’s negligence is to blame, please don’t hesitate to call the experienced San Diego child injury attorneys at Jurewitz Law Group to learn more about your legal rights. Our number is (888) 233-5020, and your call is free and confidential.
Ross Jurewitz is the founder and managing lawyer of the Jurewitz Law Group, a San Diego personal injury attorney law firm. These San Diego injury accident lawyers specialize in helping people seriously injured in a variety of accidents throughout San Diego County and California.
Connect with Ross Jurewitz on Google+