san diego workplace accident attorney | San Diego Injury Accident Lawyer Blog
SAN DIEGO, CA – Navy officials have adjusted their figures concerning the number of people injured in Sunday’s fire outbreak on the USS Bonhomme Richard, which had been undergoing routine repairs while docked in San Diego. They now believe that 59 people—both Navy personnel and civilians—were hurt, News 12 Connecticut reports.
Initial reports suggested that 21 people had been injured in the conflagration.
36 Navy personnel and 23 civilians suffered burns, smoke inhalation, and other related injuries. Five people were hospitalized but have since been released.
Fires onboard the amphibious assault vessel were raging for the second day Monday, as a fire suppression system had apparently been inoperable at the time of the original outbreak. The Coast Guard has made preparations in the event of an oil spill from the ship, and shipping traffic has been suspended within one nautical mile of the Bonhomme Richard.
OCEANSIDE, CA – Nurses at the Tri-City Medical Center protested outside the hospital yesterday about unsafe working conditions and poor management, according to a report by NBC San Diego.
The protests are in response to the leadership of Barbara Vogelsang, the hospital’s Chief Nurse Executive. According to the protesting nurses, she has not provided enough staff for the intensive care unit, has taken away breaks, and has failed to provide her staff with enough necessary resources.
The Tri-City nurses presented a no-confidence vote in her leadership last August. They have already spoken to the hospital’s CEO and to the board regarding the issues at the facility.
The medical center said in a statement that it “values the contributions of every team member. They also said that the safety of patients and staff were “paramount during these unprecedented times,” and that the hospital “continues to meet and exceed all applicable patient safety regulations.”