blog home Bonhomme Richard fire | San Diego Injury Accident Lawyer Blog

Bonhomme Richard fire | San Diego Injury Accident Lawyer Blog

Smoke seen emanating from USS Bonhomme Richard

SAN DIEGO, CA – Crews reported at least two fires onboard the USS Bonhomme Richard early this morning, mere hours after Navy officials announced that the fires that had ravaged the ship for four days had finally been extinguished.

ABC 10 reports that they learned via a radio scanner that crews at the scene had identified at least two fires onboard, and ordered the ship’s evacuation at 1 a.m. this morning. The 10News Breaking News Tracker could see smoke emanating from the listing amphibious assault ship.

By 5 a.m., however, naval authorities told ABC 10 that no evacuations had been ordered, and that all fires were extinguished. They also said that investigations into possible flare-ups were ongoing.

Disclaimer: Many of the accidents we report on are preventable. Our hope is that by publishing information about severe accidents, we can equip readers with the information they need to avoid finding themselves involved in such a tragedy. These stories are painful, but real, as they are sourced from news outlets. Outlets sometimes update their published reports. If information on this blog is outdated or incorrect, please let us know so we can update our posting to the most up-to-date information. These posts do not contain legal advice and should not be construed in such a way.

Fire on USS Bonhomme Richard extinguished

SAN DIEGO, CA – Navy officials reported today that the fire onboard the USS Bonhomme Richard has finally been extinguished, after a four-day inferno that ranks among the most severe in recent naval history.

“All known fires have been extinguished aboard USS Bonhomme Richard,” Rear Adm. Philip E. Sobeck told reporters.

Officials said they are continuing to monitor the situation to ensure that there are no smaller fires remained onboard the 40,000-ton amphibious assault ship. The cause of the fire, which began on Sunday, is still under investigation.

More than 60 people were injured in the fire, including both naval personnel and civilians.

Disclaimer: Many of the accidents we report on are preventable. Our hope is that by publishing information about severe accidents, we can equip readers with the information they need to avoid finding themselves involved in such a tragedy. These stories are painful, but real, as they are sourced from news outlets. Outlets sometimes update their published reports. If information on this blog is outdated or incorrect, please let us know so we can update our posting to the most up-to-date information. These posts do not contain legal advice and should not be construed in such a way.

Navy reports progress in Bonhomme Richard fire

SAN DIEGO, CA – Navy officials say that the situation onboard the USS Bonhomme Richard is improving after three days of fire.

The conflagration initially broke out three days ago, and has injured nearly 60 civilians and naval personnel to date. The amphibious assault vessel—which was docked in San Diego for routine maintenance—was seen listing to one side due to the amount of water that fire fighters had pumped into it in an attempt to douse the flames.

Those efforts seem to have paid off, as Navy officials believe that the worst is now over, and that the 1 million gallons of fuel on board are no longer at risk from the flames.

“There is no threat to the fuel tanks, which is well below any active fires or heat sources,” Rear Adm. Philip Sobeck told reporters at 11 a.m. today. “The ship is stable and the structure is safe.”

Disclaimer: Many of the accidents we report on are preventable. Our hope is that by publishing information about severe accidents, we can equip readers with the information they need to avoid finding themselves involved in such a tragedy. These stories are painful, but real, as they are sourced from news outlets. Outlets sometimes update their published reports. If information on this blog is outdated or incorrect, please let us know so we can update our posting to the most up-to-date information. These posts do not contain legal advice and should not be construed in such a way.

UPDATE: 59 injured in explosion on Navy ship

SAN DIEGO, CA – Navy officials have adjusted their figures concerning the number of people injured in Sunday’s fire outbreak on the USS Bonhomme Richard, which had been undergoing routine repairs while docked in San Diego. They now believe that 59 people—both Navy personnel and civilians—were hurt, News 12 Connecticut reports.

Initial reports suggested that 21 people had been injured in the conflagration.

36 Navy personnel and 23 civilians suffered burns, smoke inhalation, and other related injuries. Five people were hospitalized but have since been released.

Fires onboard the amphibious assault vessel were raging for the second day Monday, as a fire suppression system had apparently been inoperable at the time of the original outbreak. The Coast Guard has made preparations in the event of an oil spill from the ship, and shipping traffic has been suspended within one nautical mile of the Bonhomme Richard.

Disclaimer: Many of the accidents we report on are preventable. Our hope is that by publishing information about severe accidents, we can equip readers with the information they need to avoid finding themselves involved in such a tragedy. These stories are painful, but real, as they are sourced from news outlets. Outlets sometimes update their published reports. If information on this blog is outdated or incorrect, please let us know so we can update our posting to the most up-to-date information. These posts do not contain legal advice and should not be construed in such a way.

  • $19,150,000

    A mother and her adult daughter were killed by an inexperienced truck driver.

  • $1,014,299

    Award for 38-year-old motorcyclist struck by SUV driver at intersection.

  • $550,000

    Pedestrian struck by commercial vehicle resulting in wrongful death.

See All Case Results

Our No Fee Guarantee®

We promise that our clients will not owe a penny if our team fails to obtain any compensation on their behalf.

Learn More

Request Your Free Case Review

Let us fight on your behalf. Contact the Jurewitz Law Group to discuss the details of your case. All form submissions are confidentially reviewed by our excellent support staff and are answered within 24 hours.