When Jaws came out in 1975, coastal towns everywhere, including San Diego, were gripped with a mania when it came to the water. People had a newfound fear of sharks thanks to the Stephen Spielberg thriller. Over time, as statistics showed shark phobia was (mostly) unfounded, the public flocked back to the water. But now, with water sports enjoying a resurgence in Southern California, there’s a new threat to swimmer safety that has nothing to do with sharks. Read the rest »
It’s the end of another busy day of work and holiday shopping for the kids and social gatherings. You kick off your shoes and flop down on the couch to unwind. You mindlessly grab the remote, turn on the TV, and you catch the middle of the local news broadcast.
“The family-owned Italian company Peg Perego, maker of baby strollers, car seats, and ride-on vehicles for children, has issued a toy recall for the…”
Whoa. What was that? You turn up the volume on the TV.
Parents do everything they can to keep their children safe, and that includes placing them into a car seat whenever they’re in the car. Just like other products however, sometimes car seats simply aren’t designed properly, or aren’t manufactured properly, and that can lead to serious injuries for any child placed inside. Most of the time, these injuries are severe and in the very worst cases, even fatal.
Airbags are installed in cars in order to reduce injury and impact should drivers and their passengers ever get into an accident. However due to the force needed for them to inflate, and because they come into such close contact with the individuals in the car, airbags can sometimes do more harm than good. The chances of getting injured by an airbag increase even more when an airbag is defective and in some cases, the injuries can even be fatal.
In the middle of August, Samsung released their newest offering, the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, and it was almost immediately met with praise from critics and users. Within weeks the Galaxy Note 7 was already outperforming the Galaxy Note 5, which was released by the company last year. But just as Samsung was in the middle of their latest success story, problems started. The batteries in some phones started exploding, prompting Samsung to issue a voluntary recall of the phone. However some say that wasn’t enough, and that Samsung hasn’t done enough for their customers.
Vegetable distributor Andrew & Williamson Fresh Produce of San Diego has issued a voluntary food recall on one of its products over fears of salmonella poisoning. As initially reported by Fox News, the suspected outbreak began in July of this year and lasted till August, making nearly 300 people sick and leaving one elderly San Diego resident dead. Read the rest »
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has announced that more than 1.3 million defective Kidde smoke detectors/carbon monoxide alarms have been recalled due to a programming error that may cause the alarms to fail in a power outage.
Frighteningly, the compromised fire/carbon monoxide alarms could fail to warn consumers of a fire or the presence of carbon monoxide gas. The units are hardwired and designed to be linked to a home’s power source.
Carbon monoxide is a toxic odorless, colorless gas that is almost impossible to detect before it causes injury and even death. Carbon monoxide exposure is the leading cause of fatal poisonings in the United States. Read the rest »
The saying is: it’s all fun and games until somebody gets hurt. Sometimes, it seems like that saying was specifically coined with home trampolines in mind. A new study, published in the Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics found that more than a quarter of a million people went to emergency rooms in a ten-year period after sustaining bone fractures while playing on trampolines.
Sadly, children were usually the victims of these injuries.
While a majority of fractures (60 percent) involved injuries to forearms, fingers, hands, elbows, legs, and ankles, some were more serious and included fractures to the spine, head, ribs and sternum. Over the ten years covered by the study 2,807 serious spinal fractures were reported.
At Jurewitz Law Group, our legal team recently learned that Cuisinart recently recalled several of its seven-cup food processors due to a hidden defect that increases the chances a user’s hands or face will be lacerated or cut while using the appliance. The slicing/shredding disc inside the food processor may come loose while the food processor is being used. If this happens, the disc may break the food processor’s cover, sending small, sharp pieces of plastic flying.
The Cuisinart food processors affected by the recall came in several colors, including black, white, and brushed chrome. The recalled food processors carry one of several model numbers, which are printed on the underside of the food processor. Food processors with any of the following model numbers have been recalled: MFP-107, MFP-107BC, MFP-107BCWS, MFP-107BK, MFP-107BKWS, MFP-107DCWS, MFP-107MGSLT, MFP-107MR, or MFP-107WS. Read the rest »
The U.S. Supreme Court is set to consider a case that has caught the attention of many southern California drug recall attorneys due to its potentially far-reaching consequences for patients who are harmed by generic medications, according to a recent article in The New York Times.
The case the Supreme Court will hear involves a New Hampshire woman who suffered severe injuries after experiencing a rare allergic reaction to sulindac, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication (NSAID) often prescribed to treat mild to moderate pain. The sulindac she took was manufactured by Mutual Pharmaceutical Company and was a generic version of a medication originally marketed by Merck under the brand name Clinoril. Clinoril was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1978. Read the rest »
Call the Jurewitz Law Group at (619) 233-5020 and begin your path to recovery with a no-cost consultation today.