blog home Distracted Driving New Federal Distracted Driving Guidelines Limit In-Car Technology

New Federal Distracted Driving Guidelines Limit In-Car Technology

By Ross Jurewitz on May 1, 2013

San Diego Distracted DrivingIn 2010, 3,092 people died from accidents related to distracted driving, and by 2011, that number increased to 3,331. The growing number of fatalities caused by drivers’ inattention to the road has raised much concern about this growing epidemic.  With more technology available than ever before, how can anyone ignore it even from behind the wheel?

In an effort to prevent distracted driving accidents, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has recently issued voluntary guidelines to automakers.  These guidelines encourage all car manufacturers to create a built-in car system that limits the following in-car technology while in motion: info-tainment systems, navigational systems, and mobile phone communication (only when connected to the built-in system).  The government wants to ensure that drivers will not take their eyes off the road for more than 2 seconds and will complete a task within 12 seconds total.

Although these guidelines are the first attempt to modify vehicles to reduce distracted driving, not all driving distractions are caused by built-in technology.  According to USA Today, only 2% of distracted driving accidents were caused by a car’s built-in system, which leaves 98% of distracted driving accidents caused by other factors (cell phones, daydreaming, etc).  Also, concerns were raised that placing a limit on built-in car technology will only cause drivers to not connect mobile phones to the built-in system.

Since these optional guidelines will take effect in three years, it is quite unclear as to how effective these in-car technology limitations will be in reducing distracted driving accidents.  We applaud the government’s efforts in reducing distracted driving fatalities, but also want to encourage further consideration in dealing with more prominent distractions, such as cell phones.

If you or a loved one were injured as a result of a distracted driver, do not wait to call the San Diego auto accident attorneys at the Jurewitz Law Group. Call us at (888) 233-5020 for a free initial consultation.

Ross Jurewitz

Ross Jurewitz is the founder and managing lawyer of the Jurewitz Law Group, a San Diego personal injury attorney law firm. These San Diego injury accident lawyers specialize in helping people seriously injured in a variety of accidents throughout San Diego County and California.

Connect with Ross Jurewitz on

Related Articles:

  • $19,150,000

    A mother and her adult daughter were killed by an inexperienced truck driver.

  • $1,014,299

    Award for 38-year-old motorcyclist struck by SUV driver at intersection.

  • $550,000

    Pedestrian struck by commercial vehicle resulting in wrongful death.

See All Case Results

Our No Fee Guarantee®

We promise that our clients will not owe a penny if our team fails to obtain any compensation on their behalf.

Learn More

Request Your Free Case Review

Let us fight on your behalf. Contact the Jurewitz Law Group to discuss the details of your case. All form submissions are confidentially reviewed by our excellent support staff and are answered within 24 hours.

Contact Us

Jurewitz Law Group
Downtown San Diego
600 B Street, Suite 1550
San Diego, CA 92101
Phone: (619) 233-5020
Toll Free: (888) 233-5020

 
North County San Diego
2244 Faraday Ave. #101
Carlsbad, CA 92008
Phone: (760) 585-4640
Toll Free: (888) 233-5020

Copyright © 2018 Jurewitz Law Group, All Rights Reserved, Reproduced with Permission. Serving communities throughout Southern California.

San Diego Personal Injury Attorney Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth herein are based upon the facts of that particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. Please contact a lawyer for a consultation on your particular legal matter. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of California.

Website Design, SEO and Legal Internet Marketing by: SLS Consulting | Scholarship