Carbon Monoxide Poisoning | San Diego Injury Accident Lawyer Blog
New research published in the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene warns that older generators used in houseboats can lead to potentially life-threatening carbon monoxide poisoning.
The study, conducted by researchers at the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), reported that older generators can release carbon monoxide levels in excess of 1,200 parts per million (ppm). To get an idea of the gravity of the situation, just consider that a carbon monoxide level of 36 to 99 ppm is considered high. NIOSH’s limit for carbon monoxide emissions at a workplace is 200 ppm. Read the rest »
In the past few years, people have become fairly aware of the risks of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and this has lead to the arrival of many new laws in hopes of preventing severe injury by this “silent killer.” Every year, more than 400 people die and around 40,000 are hospitalized due to carbon monoxide poisoning in the United States.
California passed a law that now requires all multifamily dwelling units to install carbon monoxide alarms, which came into effect January 1, 2013. Since the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning is the highest during winter months, now is the best time to enforce safety precautions in California. All households and landlords that fail to install proper alarm equipment will be subject to a $200 fine for every missing alarm. Read the rest »
Four people suffered carbon monoxide poisoning currently due to unknown reasons at a house in the 900 block of Cypress Avenue on January 14, 2013, around 12 p.m.
According to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department, all of the victims were immediately rushed to UCSD Medical Center for medical treatment. Our personal injury law office sincerely hopes that the victims recover from their injuries fully. Read the rest »
Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning can cause serious harm. Many household appliances can release carbon monoxide, particularly if they are broken, aging, or have a hidden defect. Gas stoves, space heaters, furnaces, and other sources of combustion can all cause a buildup of CO fumes that can cause poisoning.
CO poisoning occurs when carbon monoxide is breathed in. As CO hits the lungs and enters the bloodsteam, red blood cells pick up CO more quickly than they pick up oxygen. The carbon monoxide molecules can “crowd out” the oxygen molecules in the blood, causing asphyxiation, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Read the rest »
Date: June 12‚ 2009
Location: Sacred Heart Catholic Church‚ Coronado‚ CA
Type: Unknown illness‚ most likely carbon monoxide poisoning
Outcome: Twenty-two people hospitalized Read the rest »