San Diego Bike Accident Road Rash Injury Lawyers
Road Rash & Severe Abrasions
"Road rash" is an aptly named term for abrasions cyclists sustain when they fall or slide on the ground and friction scrapes off layers of skin. Most bicyclists have this experience at least once. Road rash, also known as "road burn," a "scrape," or a "strawberry," is the most common type of cycling accident injury.
These skin abrasions can be minor to severe, but even less serious road burns can be painful because of nerve endings having been exposed, and the dirt and other material that is imbedded in the skin, leaving it open to infection. More serious cases can cause permanent scarring and disfigurement and require immediate medical attention.
If the accident that caused your road rash was another person's fault, you have a right to seek compensation. Get in touch with Jurewitz Law Group to schedule a free consultation in a location convenient to you, or meet with us by phone or in a video conference via Skype. Our San Diego bicycle accident attorneys have a successful track record representing the injured in California, including bicycle riders, with more than $30 million in awards and settlements recovered for clients over our years in practice. For example, our firm secured a $40,000 award for an Oceanside bicyclist who was hit by a car making a right turn.
Degrees of Road Rash
Road rash, like burns, is classified by degrees -- first, second, and third, with third being the most severe. Following are the three degrees of severity in road rash injuries:
- First Degree: These are minor injuries, including small scrapes, slight bleeding, bruising, redness, and tenderness. Clean the abrasions well and treat them properly to prevent infection.
- Second Degree: Keep the area clean and seek medical attention right away for more serious road burn with bleeding, swelling, exposed nerves, muscles, or tendons, and radiating heat. This type of injury is painful to the touch and often causes scarring.
- Third Degree: Severe road rash injuries, with skin flayed off, swelling, bleeding, and deep wounds require emergency medical treatment. Depending on whether nerve damage has occurred, the injury may be extremely painful or not painful at all. The injured area may appear milky or shiny. Severe road burn may cover more than 10% of the body, exposing tendons, nerves, muscle, and bones, and infection can set in quickly. Skin grafting may be needed to recover in this level of injury.
How Road Rash Injuries Occur
Many road rash injuries occur when a rider miscalculates the angle entering a corner and the bike slides out from under the body. When this happens, rider and bicycle slide together across the road surface, and the speed of the slide may be significant. Cyclists also suffer road burn in bicycle rear end collisions and other accidents caused by negligent drivers.
Don't Risk Your Road Rash Injury Compensation in San Diego
If you have suffered serious road rash injuries in a crash caused by a negligent driving conduct, the best thing to do is to contact a lawyer as soon as possible, and get information about pursuing compensation for your injuries. Our San Diego accident attorneys at Jurewitz Law Group can deal with insurance companies on your behalf, and manage all issues related to seeking compensation from the negligent party, while you focus on recovering from your injuries.
We offer our clients a no fee guarantee – you will owe us no legal fees if we fail to recover compensation for you. Contact our office today to schedule a free case consultation. Jurewitz Law Group can be reached at (888) 233-5020.
- Cycling Community Pays Tribute to Fallen Comrade
- October 29, 2017
- How To Handle A Brand New Bike
- December 23, 2016
- Bike Hit and Run in San Diego
- September 12, 2016
- Broken Bones Sustained in Bike Accidents in San Diego
- September 7, 2016
- San Diego Bicycle Road Rash Injuries
- August 25, 2016
Call the Jurewitz Law Group at (619) 233-5020 and begin your path to recovery with a no-cost consultation today.