Road Hazard Bike Accident Attorneys in San Diego
Bicycle Accidents Caused by Road Hazards
You did not see it coming. At all.
One moment, you were on your bicycle enjoying your ride... the next moment, you were on the street, badly injured and in considerable pain. How did it happen? You weren't hit by a car and you most certainly did not wipe out of your own volition. Like a good cyclist, you were scanning the traffic around you for motorists and pedestrians. It didn't occur to you at the time that the road itself could present a hazard.
You can build a strong case for your claim with guidance from the experienced San Diego bike injury attorneys at Jurewitz Law Group. To discuss your case with one of our dedicated staff, call (888) 233-5020 or (619) 233-5020. We offer free initial consultations.
Bicycle accidents caused by road hazards are difficult to litigate.
Who Is Liable for My San Diego Road Hazard Bike Accident?
In virtually all road hazard bike crash cases, the liable party is the state, county, city, or other public agency that maintains the road/rail. To get the responsible government entity to pay up, you must be able to prove the following:
- The road feature or flaw in question is a hazard;
- The government entity failed to address the hazard for an unreasonable amount of time;
- The hazard directly contributed to your accident; and
- You suffered damages as a direct result of the crash.
This is easier said than done. Fortunately, you can have a legal professional take care of the investigation for you so you can focus on your recovery.
Different Types of Bicycle Road Hazards in San Diego
Abrupt changes in the road surface may be easily traversed by regular motor vehicles; however, they can be treacherous for bicycles, due to their relative instability and thin tires. Even veteran cyclists are susceptible to the following road hazards:
- Potholes: Long-term wear and tear and shoddy maintenance can cause a road to develop surface breaks. If left unaddressed, these breaks can develop further into potholes, which are big enough to snag the wheels of a bicycle and cause a potentially devastating accident.
- Sewer Grates: When the bars of a sewer grate are parallel to the road, it presents a serious danger to cyclists. Thin bike tires can easily become stuck between them, causing the bike to catapult the rider into a vehicle, the ground, or another object. Hazardous grates can easily be remedied by simply changing their direction or installing crosshatch safety bars.
- Rail Tracks: Tracks that run parallel to traffic or cross the road at a curve or angle are dangerous to cyclists. A bike wheel can easily get caught in the space between the rail and the road.
Once you have identified the hazard which led to your crash, you must then be able to establish liability on the part of the responsible party.
Helping You Win Your Case Against the San Diego Government
Without legal help, the cost of recovery after a bike crash can easily become overwhelming - reaching hundreds of thousands in a matter of months! Contact a San Diego road hazard accident lawyer at the Jurewitz Law Group as soon as possible to get the quality representation you need to win your case against the government and get the compensation you need to pay off your medical bills and more.
For a free and comprehensive case evaluation with a San Diego personal injury attorney, please dial (888) 233-5020 or send us a message through the Free Case Review tab.
- Cycling Community Pays Tribute to Fallen Comrade
- October 29, 2017
- How To Handle A Brand New Bike
- December 23, 2016
- Bike Hit and Run in San Diego
- September 12, 2016
- Broken Bones Sustained in Bike Accidents in San Diego
- September 7, 2016
- San Diego Bicycle Road Rash Injuries
- August 25, 2016
Call the Jurewitz Law Group at (619) 233-5020 and begin your path to recovery with a no-cost consultation today.