San Diego Pedicab Accident Attorneys Ask: Do You Have a Case?
Pedicab Accidents and Injuries
Pedicabs are a great way to get around urban areas, especially in Downtown San Diego. They are a very popular form of transportation in the Gaslamp District amongst local bar and restaurant patrons. It is fun to get a group of friends or a loved one and ride in a pedicab.
Pedicab Safety Issues
Pedicabs do pose a few problems, however. Many pedicabs do not provide any type of safety harnesses for their riders. Pedicabs certainly do not have airbags or any other protective devices in the event of an accident. Thus, even the slightest bump from an inattentive driver could cause pedicab passengers to fall out and hurt themselves. In addition, there are a number of disreputable pedicab companies operating in San Diego who do not carry insurance or other protections in case you are injured while riding in their cab.
If you have been involved in a pedicab accident, please contact the San Diego personal injury lawyers at Jurewitz Law Group immediately. We will fight for your rights and review every single detail of your case. Call us now at (619) 233-5020 to schedule a consultation.
Pedicab Driver Issues in San Diego
There is also a problem with the drivers themselves. Little or no training and licensing is required, so basically anyone is permitted to operate a pedicab. Many pedicab drivers, especially the ones in San Diego, are European tourists who are temporary in the country so they may not know the traffic rules as well as an American. They only have to pay the cost of renting or buying a pedicab, and they are ready to take passengers. The City of San Diego has tried to take some steps to have more oversight over the pedicab industry, but it has not been very successful.
Pedicabs lack basic oversight and regulation and drivers often take their own lives and the lives of their passengers into their own hands. Pedicab accidents in San Diego are common & can cause serious injury.
Common Pedicab Dangers
- Negligent pedicabs that will run into cars, curbs, or pedestrians.
- Negligent motorists who will collide into pedicabs, causing passenger injury.
- Broken or faulty pedicab, which may break down or detach during a ride.
If you are struck by a drunk driver while riding in a pedicab, you may have grounds for a lawsuit. Intoxicated driving is one of the leading causes of death involving vehicles, and each year, thousands of people are injured by drunk drivers. Those riding in pedicabs are especially at risk at night and during weather conditions that cause low levels of visibility. If you have been struck by a drunk driver, you may be entitled to compensation for your pain, medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses. Pedicab companies are also loosely regulated, and you may be able to take the company to court as well.
Hit and Run
According to California state law, everyone involved in a car accident must remain at the scene until law enforcement arrives. Failing to do this is known as hit and run, and being charged with this crime can result in a fine or imprisonment. If you were hit by a driver who later fled the scene, you may still be able to get compensation and justice. Of course, this depends on the circumstances of the accident, but in California, hit and run is a serious offense. If you were injured and the driver fled the scene, they may face felony charges and jail time when they are apprehended.
Accountability and Wrongful Death in San Diego
As mentioned above, pedicab companies are not universally regulated, but it is still their responsibility to guarantee the safety of their passengers. If you are injured in a pedicab accident, regardless of who is at fault, you may be able to file a claim against the company. If your pedicab driver causes an accident due to inexperience, inattentiveness, or intoxication, they can be held liable as well. After an accident, it is important to seek legal assistance so that you can better understand your rights as a victim. If a loved one was killed in a pedicab accident under any circumstances, you may still be able to file a lawsuit against the company if you act fast enough.
Injuries Commonly Sustained in Pedicab Accidents
- Broken bones and fractures are some of the most commonly sustained accident injuries. Although they are not usually life-threatening, they can be painful and difficult to deal with. When a victim sustains a broken bone, they will usually face numerous medical bills and a considerable amount of time away from work. Some fractures can be so severe that they can permanently impair a person's ability to work and earn income on a regular basis.
- Severe vehicle accidents can result in permanent brain damage for some victims. Damaging such a vital organ can be devastating, and more than likely, a brain injury will result in loss of mobility, cognitive impairment, and in the most serious cases, death. Hemorrhaging, or excessive bleeding inside the skull, can prevent the brain from receiving an adequate amount of oxygen. This lack of oxygen immediately kills brain cells, and can cause the victim to experience a host of medical conditions.
- Head, neck, and spinal injuries have the potential to drastically reduce a victim's quality of life. When the neck or spinal cord is injured, victims face the prospect of mobility loss, and in extreme circumstances, paralysis. When a person is paralyzed, he or she is no longer able to move, and will more than likely need a permanent caretaker. The skull is extremely fragile, and when subjected to a sudden blow, it can easily fracture and leave the brain unprotected.
Consult with an Experienced San Diego Pedicab Accident Attorney
It will be important to consult with a pedicab accident attorney if you are ever involved in this type of accident. No matter if you were a passenger, motorist, or pedestrian, you can get compensated for your injuries if the pedicab driver was negligent. At the Jurewitz Law Group our experienced San Diego bike accident attorneys are here to help. If you or someone you know was ever injured in an accident involving a pedicab, please contact our office at (888) 233-5020. We do not charge for consultations, so please feel free to call us.
- San Diego Pedicab Program
- San Diego Pedicab Operator Information Sheet
- San Diego Municipal Code: Pedicabs
- City of San Diego Pedicab Bulletin
- Cycling Community Pays Tribute to Fallen Comrade
- October 29, 2017
- How To Handle A Brand New Bike
- December 23, 2016
- Bike Hit and Run in San Diego
- September 12, 2016
- Broken Bones Sustained in Bike Accidents in San Diego
- September 7, 2016
- San Diego Bicycle Road Rash Injuries
- August 25, 2016
Call the Jurewitz Law Group at (619) 233-5020 and begin your path to recovery with a no-cost consultation today.